Craven Hill Gardens is steeped in history. In 1733 William 3rd Baron Craven bought Upton Farm with its 9 acres of land in the common fields of Bayswater. He replaced the farm with a large house and accompanying grounds, ponds and buildings. This estate was passed through the family until 1825 when it was divided amongst the heirs of William 7th Baron Craven. These parts were then variously developed and/or sold in tandem with the growth and development of the surrounding area – what was referred to as a “great aristocratic town” during the mid to late 1800s.
During this period Whiteley’s grew as a luxurious shopping destination, although the present building was not completed until 1911, and both Paddington Station and the Underground were introduced into the area.